Monday, September 15, 2008

Of Cops and Thieves (STORY # 15, 16)

I suddently felt the urge to continue my series on "Of Cops and Thieves" which I started last August 2007 after I learned that Jinoe lost his wallet--again!

Jinoe, hindi ka nag-iisa.

STORY # 15

After the ULTRA incident in 1992, my perpetrators took a long vacation and didn't appear until summer of 2003.

Ate Ella and I were scouting for a summer school for Eia. We parked the car along Gloria Diaz St.-- one of the main roads in BF Resort Village, just across the school where we intended to inquire. Eia immediately got off the car while Ate Ella was still coming out from the other side and I was still getting my bag. Ate Ella and I hasten to prevent Eia from crossing the street.

I was focused on protecting Eia that I completely forgot to lock the car.

Our inquiry was very brief. We were inside the school for only 15 minutes, then went back to the car. Ate Ella and I were discussing the pros and cons of enrolling Eia in that particular school that I didn't notice anything missing.

That night, I searched for my hair brush before I was about to sleep. I remembered it was inside my kikay kit which I left in the car. When I didn't find it inside the REVO, that was the only time I realized that I was robbed--for the nth time.

The saddest thing was, I also lost the memorable antique attache case which I inherited from my dear mother, containing my sales paraphernalia.

STORY # 16

My friend Beng met in Red Ribbon located at Zapote-Alabang Road Las Pinas City. We boycotted McDonald's because in our previous meeting there, she lost her bag exactly on her birthday.

There were two areas where you could sit in Red Ribbon: the area fronting the cashier or the area fronting the take-out counter. We chose to sit at the first table nearest the security guard. When we sat there, there were no other customers in the area. Beng immediately handed to me her P5,000 payment for her quarterly insurance premium which I placed straight inside my bag. We talked and talked, unmindful of the people around us.

In the middle of our lively conversation, I received a text message. I got my celfone from my bag, answered the text message then put back my phone inside my bag which I placed right beside me. I then finished my half-filled glass of water and told Beng that we should go.

When I grabbed my bag beside me it was gone. Less than a minute ago it was just there. I was so shocked that what happened 3 months ago happened again--only this time, I was the victim and not Beng.

Beng immediately called my number while I rushed outside the restaurant hoping that I could still catch the robber. My number couldn't be reached anymore. The manager called the Police who was just stationed beside Red Ribbon. He wrote the incident but I knew there's nothing he could do about it now.

Good thing that my car key is tied around my neck. Had it been inside my bag, I couldn't imagine the greater mess it would have caused.

First things first. Via expressphone, I reported to BPI that I lost my check book and ATM cards. During that time, I didn't have any credit card yet (thank God!).

The following day, I went to the bank and closed all my accounts. Then I proceeded to LTO to apply for a replacement of my driver's license. I got it the following day.

With all the hassle, I tried to console myself that I was still lucky that Beng paid only 1 quarter premium. I could have lost P30,000 including my household money if she gave me the whole annual premium!

Oh--forgot to tell you. That was my first time to use that bag--a Coach bag given to me by my balikbayan uncle. Now you use it, now you don't!

For more stories about my past misfortunes, you may click my blog archive for the following:

Aug. 22, 2007: STORY # 1
Aug. 23, 2007: STORY # 2
Aug. 24, 2007: STORY # 3, 4, 5
Aug. 26, 2007: STORY # 6, 7, 8
Aug. 27, 2007: STORY # 9, 10
Aug. 28, 2007: STORY # 11, 12, 13
Aug. 30, 2007: STORY # 14





















17 comments:

  1. thanks for the info about the upcoming KOTR race!! where will the registration be? :)

    runaholic.wordpress.com


    I mam feeling a setback and hard to speed up and run since i havent been running everyday for a month although i consider is a GOOD NEWS (regardless knowing that ihave to work on it again) because it means my body isn't used to it anymore and its my way of intro it back.. FAT BURNING MACHINE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. im sorry about what happened with the mishap. GOD BLESS that person! I hope that person really needed money and whatever he can use your bag (i hope he or she realizes its ORIGINAL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sa RACE office sa Greenhills. Will let you know pag may up-date na about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to have heard this happened to you. It always happens to the nice people (not fair)! In SA the crime is much worse. I was hijacked twice from my car, broken in four times and our house and my wife pick pocketed four times. I know it does not make things feel better for you but what I am saying is this: There are two issues that made the situation worse. I was upset about the loss of propperty but which was worse was that I felt they violated my personal life and the hassle of getting my bank cards again and cancell other cards and getting my license card again. Sometimes other things is worse than loosing the merchandise. All the best and I hope you recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. KOTR stands for King Of The Road, Philip. It's sponsored by Adidas. For detailed info, you may visit TBR (Jaymie, the Bullrunner) or Prometheus Cometh's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh stupid me for not figuring it out. I was interested in joining until the triathlon bug bit me, there is a triathlon the day after which I rather sign up for. It will be to much to do 21km the day before a triathlon. I will miss you guys on that day. Are you planning in doing that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm planning to, but not sure whether to run 5k or 10k. Good luck to your 2nd TRI, Philip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been a victim for so many times in the past the I got used to it already. Though I condemn this despicable act, we can only pray for these violators. And we should continue to be vigilant. This Red Ribbon incident happened February 2004. It is now 2008. So far, so good. Knock on wood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just came across your blog. You're an inspiration, wow! Such a tough woman, but kung titingnan sa pics, you're always smiling.

    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I'll be visiting your blog often, for sure.

    Cheers! God bless! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, mj. Just came from your blog site. You're running 10k for your first race! Samantalang ako, naka dalawa na pero parehong 5k lang... What a remarkable display of self-confidence! Good luck to you tomorrow.
    I'm glad you came accross my blog, mj. Thanks! You've got interesting stories in yours. Will frequent your blog as often as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Nora! How are you?

    Wow, you've got time on your hands if you're already read my entire blog :-) Thanks :-)

    Finished Civil Engineering in '91, but am studying Nursing now, would you believe?! In my late 30s! Wala eh, kailangang kumayod for the family, and going abroad seems to be the best bet these days. But who knows, our plans might change. we're a very flexible (fickle-minded?) twosome, my husband and I. We have 3 children--all girls, aged 11, 7, and (almost) 9.

    Yeah, I'm also a frustrated journalist like you! As sideline, I write freelance, but mostly as ghostwriter or as an unnamed, invisible writer/editor of boring textbooks and learning modules. Hehe. Hindi talaga journalism, which sounds so fun and interesting. Should have taken up BS Journ in college, or maybe Physical Education since i'm now so into sweating it out.

    We've got a lot in common, dear friend. Got my heart broken too by the person I love most. (But we have healed together as a couple, I believe.) That's why I admire you so. You've been through so much, and still you're standing tall... and running as well!

    Cheers!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1991 ka graduate so you're probably 38-39? That was my age when I walked down the aisle and said "I do" to the would-be father of my 2 children.
    I used to hang out at the Engg. Library. Two of my best friends in UP are civil engineers. One is now married to a fellow civil engineer. The other one became my boyfriend but we didn't make it to the altar.
    From civil engr. to nursing? Now THAT is tough! Good luck.
    Hey, 11 din ang eldest ko.
    the 2nd is almost 9 din. Kung may asawa pa pala ako, malamang 7 din ang bunso ko hah hah ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1991 ka graduate so you're probably 38-39? That was my age when I walked down the aisle and said "I do" to the would-be father of my 2 children.
    I used to hang out at the Engg. Library. Two of my best friends in UP are civil engineers. One is now married to a fellow civil engineer. The other one became my boyfriend but we didn't make it to the altar.
    From civil engr. to nursing? Now THAT is tough! Good luck.
    Hey, 11 din ang eldest ko.
    the 2nd is almost 9 din. Kung may asawa pa pala ako, malamang 7 din ang bunso ko hah hah ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Actually, it's from civil engineering to writing and research....to computers....to being a fulltime housewife...and now to nursing. A varied concoction of jobs and interests. Life is fascinating, so full of surprises. I've given up trying to predict what my future will be like. It's wonderful to just live in the moment and savor what's at hand.

    You married late pala. Good thing that you were blessed with wonderful kids still :-) They're so precious; I think only we mothers know just how much of a special blessing our children are. Ooops, maybe that's unfair, sorry to the fathers out there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, that was extremely valuable and interesting...I will be back again to read more on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic site, I had not noticed norberta.blogspot.com earlier during my searches!
    Carry on the great work!

    ReplyDelete