Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My First OctobeRUN

Oct. 26, 2008: I was on stage with Ate Ella and my cousin Junjun Muego. It was a once-a-lifetime event, where the three of us received our medals for finishing first in our respective age categories:

1. My 63-year-old aunt Ate Ella for the 60 and above group
2. my cousin Jun for the 30-39 age category
3. myself for the 50-59 age group

It was a thrilling experience for us and the whole de Ala clan, having won all at the same.

Then out of nowhere we heard this alarming sound.

I was jolted out of my pleasant sleep by the alarm of my cellphone. It was then that I realized I was only dreaming. And sadly, it would remain that way--only a dream.

It was 4:00 AM. I should be hitting the showers then eat banana, drink water, grab my running bag and leave for the Fort with Ate Ella. But this wouldn't be the picture on this particular day.

Instead, I caressingly whispered my daughter's name to wake her up then gave her Tempra Forte and Immunosin for her fever and chicken pox.

I was all set to join my first OctobeRUN but had to miss it because of my special "special child".

For all the runner bloggers who patiently searched for me before, during and after the race--I am truly very sorry.

Hope to see you all in the VSO Run this Nov. 9!

20 comments:

  1. ei nora, there will always be next time...kaw pa???

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi nora, i also missed the octoberun last sunday. my daughter had to watch a play and as usual, a mom has to prepare her baon and all the stuffs. hay, naku, mga nanay talaga!
    there'll always be next time, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nora, thanks for all the comments on my blog. One week to go!

    I'll see you at the start line at the VSO run on November 9th. Please take care and have a good upcoming weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it sure was a great dream. Malay natin, it will become a reality someday. Hehehehe.

    Hope Eia gets well really soon. See you on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi nora, i hope Eia is ok now. Surely, we were looking for you at the Octberun race but our priorities are our families and you gave your daughter the love and care she needed at that moment. God bless Eia and hope to meet you next race! Swthrt will be running the 5K at VSO. Will you be there at the VSO race?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nora, sad to have not seen you at the race. I suppose there are many more races to come, it keeps the excitement just so much more. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Mae. Our first major role is to be a good (if not the best) mother to our children. There will be future races where we could meet. Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be praying for your safe travel Wayne. It's a dream come true for me to run with the SFrunner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm . . . if that dream will be realized someday, dapat buong de Ala clan will be there to witness that memorable event, Jun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, Bro J. I hope this time, I could run with your darling Baby. See you at the VSO!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was sooh sad too, Philip. I was really excited to meet you and the other runner bloggers. Hope to see you at the VSO this Nov. 9.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! Hope Eia is okay already. Am sure there will be plenty more races for you to climb up that stage! See you then as I will be clapping and cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire your faith in me, Jay! Thank you so much for the encouragement.

    Eia's fever is now gone but her whole body (including face) is still loaded with chicken pox. My heart is pierced whenever she cries out loud because of the pain.

    Hope to see you at the VSO Run!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Ako din, I was just able to run one race this October... Family first muna talaga... I'll see you in VSO and at Clark? :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, G. I can only sympathize with you. Our family comes first.

    See you at the VSO!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha-ha, nice post :-)

    I hope Eia's pox will go away soon. Good luck with the VSO run... though you don't really need it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks mj. Though I really wish you'll also be running the VSO. Don't be afraid of the unfamiliar territory. Just follow the crowd and you won't get lost (that's what I did during the KOTR).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice to have finally met you Tita Nora! 'Twas nice seeing you still so hyped up and energetic after the race! Nakaka-hawa tuloy kahit pagod na pagod na kami. haha We need more runners like that. :O) Pa-email naman ng pictures natin, please? dorothydel@hotmail.com. Thanks!!!

    'till next time! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The pleasure is mine, Honorable Doc Doray! Sobrang excited lang talaga akong makita kayong mga runner bloggers kaya hindi halatang masakit ang buong katawan ko hah hah . . .

    Sure, will e-mail you the pictures as soon as I can. Bday kasi ng father ko & Eia tomorrow kaya medyo busy pa.

    See you again in future races!

    ReplyDelete