Sunday, March 14, 2010

My First Marathon For Children With Down Syndrome

A spectacular event is about to happen this coming May 22, 2010 at 5:00 AM!

For the very first time in my life, I will attempt to run a full marathon in Nuvali, Sta. Rosa Laguna.

A full marathon = 42.195 km.

Yes, I know. I'm probably crazy to do this now, when I'm almost 52 years of age.

But I truly believe that Life Begins at 50 (or this blog won't even exist).

I ran my first 5k race when I turned 50 (my sincerest gratitude to everybody who donated to DSAPI in lieu of birthday gifts), my first 10k race 6 months after, and my first 21k race at Condura's Skyway last Feb. 7, 2010.

My second 21k race will be at the Globe Run for Home this March 21 and will probably run my 3rd at the Earth Run this April 18.

I'm overly excited and extremely nervous at the same time.

Will I ever make it to the finish line? (Cut-off time is 8 hours)

Do I have what it takes to conquer a marathon? At my age?

How about you -- do you or don't you think I could make it?

I wish and hope and pray that I finish the 42 km because I am dedicating this birthday run to the Down Syndrome Assn. of the Phils. Inc. (DSAPI).

And you could help by pledging any amount for every km that I run.

Who knows? If I quit at 21 km and you pledged P20, then you'll only have to shell out P420 (but of course nobody's stopping you to donate more heh heh . . .)

DSAPI is constantly in need of financial assistance to support its various activities for the parent members and their children with Down Syndrome. Unlike abroad, our association solely relies on personal contributions of kind-hearted individuals to continue its Early Intervention Programs, Communication Seminars, Catechism Classes, Y2K Seminars, Summer Workshops, Free Clinics, Christmas Parties and many others.

I know I can count on you. Kindly confirm your pledges before May 22, 2010. You may either e-mail me at ndelr2003@yahoo.com or text me at 0928-5220565.

And oh, good news. You may contact me anytime through my wireless landline # 703-6118.

Thank you so much! God bless your generous hearts.

Luv yah!
Nora

P.S. According to Jaymie, one bus will travel along the route during the race. You can ride the bus to cheer for me when you spot me along the route. (I can almost hear your screams Go Nora Go!)

While waiting for me, you can dine at Solenad, a row of restaurants such as Italianni's, Conti's and Yellow Cab, that will be open for breakfast by 6:30 AM. If the weather is fine, you can have a picnic or rent bikes. Or be a kid again and enjoy feeding @800 koi fish or ride boats on the lake.

There will be entertainment for family and friends who wait at Solenad. I will pass by Solenad twice during the race , and we could hug each other or even dine together when I make the stop. What a perfect way to rehydrate and re energize!

See you all there!

26 comments:

  1. I'm sure you can do it Nora! And I think it's great that you're doing it not just for yourself but for DSAPI. Congrats to you already---not just for the marathon that you will finish but also for contributing positive change to the community :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Best of luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nora,
    What a very noble cause.
    I am sure you will finish it....we will finish it hehehe.
    Nice to see you last bull session.

    Btw, whose bday run it would be?
    Our birthday is two weeks after pa eh :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. With your all-out support, I'm confident I'm gonna finish it, Jaymie! I wouldn't have the guts to even think of running the marathon weren't for you. I am what I am now (a future marathoner) because of you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Mer! Happy to see someone here from Atlanta. Hugs and kisses to Trent and Chase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Advanced birthday run natin Joy. Pero sa bday natin, sa Run for Smiles tayo sa MOA with the whole family.

    So happy to finally meet you last Wednesday! Ang tangkad mo pala!

    Of course, we'll finish it. But I doubt if we'll finish it together. Baka 2 hours ka ng dumating bago ako heh heh . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you can finish! See you at the starting line in Nuvali =)

    I'll email you my support for the project.

    See you at Globe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It doesn’t matter what your age is when you decide to run a marathon.
    Most definitely a marathon is no walk in the park but if you have dreams and determination all your dreams will come true.
    You have already done 2 of 21k races I’m sure you never in your wildest dreams that you could ever do that but look it has become a reality.
    You have roughly 2 months to train. You can do it. Start doing them 3 or 4 long runs of 30km it builds up your legs and your confidence. I also admire your cause for running the marathon and support you all the way.
    Nora believe that you can and it will happen.
    Regards to your family

    Raul Patrick Concepcion

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear, Please be my trainer. Let's train together too. I really want to make this happen. i haven't had a long run in .. such a time.

    You're made of super nora!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yehey! Another TBR Dream Marathoner! See you this Sunday Tin. Approach me pls when you see me.

    Thanks in advance for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're absolutely right Patrick. When you were urging me to run 21K at the Condura Race last year, it seemed impossible during that time. I never thought the day will come when I will actually attempt to run the half marathon. And I did it! This Sunday, will try to break PR.

    Thank you for constantly inspiring me Patrick. You and the rest of the running community give me the much-needed push whenever I need it.

    God bless your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hah hah . . . you only have to call or text me Kassy. I'm sure it would be great training with you. Let's set a schedule when we see each other this Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Nora! Firstly, congrats uli sa first half marathon finish mo at good luck sa next half marathon mo this coming weekend. Yung 8 hours cut off time sa marathon ay generous kaya if you train enough and run the race smartly, I'm confident the word "marathoner" or marathon finisher would be part of your resume. Bilib ako sa iyo. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course Mommy Nora, you will surely make it!

    Think. Think. Think. Am I making a big mistake of not joining TBR's Dream Marathon?

    I hope I could join RunningAtom and pace with him at the gun start so as to help him conserve his energy at the onset of the race.

    See you at Globe Run for Home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Bong, thank you so much for believing in me and inspiring me. Thank you, too, for the generous pledge you made. I'm deeply touched . . .

    Take care always.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Madz! I think there are still slots available. Habol ka pa!

    See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. MADZ there's still slot available. come come come with us!

    see you tom nora :) i super salute you!! still havent had the chance to call you, please please can i ring you now?

    lets train for the marathon.. buddyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mommy Nora, although there were still slots available, I don't think I can make it. Besides, I would love to have my first mary together with my angel, he he, cheesy :D

    See you tomorrow! I'll be running 5K :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're a tigress! Raaaar! Good luck and do well on your marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Roselle! Missed you at the Globe Run for Home. Ang bagal ko kasi, nakaalis ka na siguro when I arrived at the Finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Madz, listen to Kassy. If you want to run your first marathon with your darling angel, then bring him along. The more, the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I would love to Mommy Nora, but schedule gets in the way :(

    Missed you last Sunday :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. Don't worry Madz. There's time for everything. Jaymie will probably have another Dream Marathon next year. I promise I will run with you (at least, sabay tayo sa starting line 'coz I'm sure maiiwan mo na ako).

    The bull circles are open for everybody. Hope to see you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yup! I am aiming at running a full mary next year! Yey! Let's DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Everyone,

    To those interested to know more about residential and commercial properties inside Nuvali, feel free to contact me anytime.

    Thanks,

    COCO MIDEL
    Ayala Land Premier
    Mobile 0917-50-29252 (0917-50-AYALA)
    Email: midel.jerico@ayalaland.com.ph / coco.ayala@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete