Sunday, June 16, 2013

Life Begins at 55!




5 years ago, I dreamed of running 5k and after I did it, I thought that was IT.

Runner bloggers urged me to try 10K but I just shrugged my shoulders and in my mind, told myself "I will never run beyond 5k!"

Then it happened.  What I thought impossible before became possible!

I ran my first 10k at a very comfortable pace (during that time when my waist was still 27 inches hah hah . . .) and finished at 1 hour 10 minutes.

10k was the perfect distance for me then.  No pain, no sweat (well, a little).

After 1 year, 10k became a "walk in the park" (naks yabang!)

Time to level up.

When I crossed the Finish Line at the Condura Skyway Half-Marathon last February 2010, I surprised myself when I strongly felt that I could still run another 21k!  I excitedly told Ate Ella -- "Yon lang ang 21k?  Pwede pa akong bumalik at ulitin ang tinakbo ko!  I am ready to run the MARATHON!"

I was among the first batch of TBRDM (The Bull Runner Dream Marathon) held last May 22, 2010.  But before this, I managed to run 2 more Half-Marathons  -- 1 in March and 1 in April in preparation for my first 42.195k.

Fast forward to the present:

I turned 55 last June 6 and my birthday wish is to run (drum rolls please!) . . . 50 km!!!

As of this writing, my eyes are set on Rizal to Laguna Ultramarathon which will be on Nov. 3, 2013 (exactly the last day of mourning for my father who passed away last Nov. 4).

I ran my first 5k at 50 (5 km at 50 years of existence)


This year, it will be 50k at 5 (50 km at 5 years of running)

That's my first birthday wish.

My second birthday wish is to encourage YOU to join me.

Please say Y-E-S!


20 comments:

  1. wow mommy Nora, i've been waiting for a new blog post from you, and the wait was surely worth it! this is great news, and i only wish you the best in your training for your first 50k. keep us, your avid readers, posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Di na ako makakaatras nito hihi . . . Thank you so much for the kind words deemenrunner! Nakakataba ng puso. I'm deeply touched.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a GREAT IDEA to run a 50k at 55!
    New challenges are always fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Paul! I just hope this GREAT IDEA will not remain just a great idea. Making it through is the hard part. I must be insane to even think that I could do it. But then again, there's a very thin line between sanity and insanity hah hah . . .

      Delete
  3. I like your blog.
    It's inspire me.
    Keep blogging and share your experiences to the world.

    Please visit my blog:

    http://globalgreenview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooaaahhhh, so this is your upcoming run Mommy Nora. I remember a few years ago, I conquered my fear of running again another 21K because of the inspiration I got from you.

    Goodluck and God bless on this new endeavor Mommy Nora. (Keep us posted) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alfred. I hope you can join me in my first Ultra... Pakisama na din sa dasal mo!

      Delete
  5. great post! I hope to run this distance too. I'll let you know when I get to train :-) take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Together, we can make things happen Joy! Let's DO THIS!

      Delete
  6. Hi Nora. Alice here. I have been hibernating since summer coz of the heat. Encouraged naman ako sa blog mo 50k at 55 wow! Last Sun. I started walking again at UP but I wish to run TBR 2014. Pls help me find a trainor for this endeavor. Sa UP kami practice. Meron kaya at magkano? Like ur blog. Belated happy bday again. If ur here in QC let me know. Bday treat kita.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure we will find someone to train you Alice. Kung malapit nga lang UP, ako na!

      Delete
  7. inspiring, Nora. I too got into regular running around 50 too. Best of luck on your exciting goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ric. Exciting indeed. And frightening! Thanks.

      Delete
  8. You have about 18 weeks+ to train which gives you more than enough time to nail your first ultra. Go for it, just be consistent with your training! 55 is the new 35! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yon nga ang mahirap Rene. Ang maging consistent hihi . . . With the kind of weather that we experience now, I couldn't establish a training program I could stick with. But as you said, I have more than enough time to train. Yes Rene. I WILL go for it. 55 is the new 35? Love it!

      Delete
  9. Hi Nora !
    It was so sweet of you to PM me.
    50 km is an awesome goal.
    I admire you for your enthusiasm your determination but frankly I think you are a little NUTS ! 
    But I guess all runners are a little NUTS. .
    Dream big . reach your goal because if you can run a 50 I believe you can do anything in life.
    Take care.
    For me I think I would really have to plan it very well to run a 50 km.
    That’s a major commitment which I feel I have to really plan VERY VERY WELL.
    But you are my idol and im sure you can do it !
    Have fun and enjoy
    The road less traveled is always the best.

    Raul Patrick Concepcion

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I agree Patrick. I must be really crazy to even think that I could run 50k . . . but with your support and the support of our other runner friends, I know in my heart that I can pull this through. And yes, I have to plan it VERY VERY WELL. Thank you so much Patrick!

    ReplyDelete