Friday, April 9, 2021

Ang Makukay na Daigdig ni Nora (My Colorful Life: Part 2)

This is Part 2 of the post I published last Aug. 12, 2011.  I am feeling nostalgic today, missing my dear father, who kept on telling me that none of his dreams actually came true.  So here goes:

6.  My father’s dream was to have a wife close to his age so they would grow old together.  Though his dream wasn’t fulfilled, I still feel he was lucky to have a wife 10 years younger than him.  I did not dream of any age for my future husband but the father of my children was 12 years YOUNGER than me. (Yes, I suffered the accusation of being a cradle snatcher!)

7.  My father’s dream was to get married to an only daughter and raise 10 beautiful children with her.  But fate turned his life around.  His wife had 9 siblings and they only had me as their only child (can you even imagine Tatay’s frustation?  I was teasing him that God probably heard his prayer wrong, kasi baliktad ang nangyari!)

8.  My father dreamed of a housewife who will take care of their nest and receive him with open arms when he gets back from work everyday.  He married a careerwoman who was never at home when he returns from his daily grind.  I dreamed that I would be a plain housewife when I get married.  I would manage the household and be a loving hands-on-mom to my kids.  I won’t be a careerwoman like my mother who prioritized her work over her only daughter.  So when I got married, I practically retired and stayed home, visiting our businesses only once a week.

9.  My father dreamed of being a great provider to his family but he willingly switched roles with his wife.    Nanay became the majority breadwinner and Tatay took the responsibility of taking care of me.

10. Tatay was honest enough to reveal that he barely passed the Radio Telecommunications Licensure Exam though he dreamed of having a score higher than 75%.  Nanay, on the other hand, topped the Midwifery Board Exam with a grade of 99%.  (Nanay may be having memory lapses every now and then but her being a Board Topnotcher has been the topic of our family dinners for @350 days out of the 365 days a year hahahah  .  .  . )

11.  My father’s parents spent 77 years together.  Tatay dreamed of a Diamond Anniversary as well but he and Nanay only celebrated 55 years of marriage before he said goodbye in 2012.  My Ex-Prince Charming and I were only together for 5 years before I took my 2 precious jewels  and successfully escaped far from him but that is of course another story.

To be continued  .  .  .

(Thanks for dropping by my blog.  Feel free to send your comments or reactions via Messenger or to ndelr62@gmail.com.  Stay safe everyone!)