Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ouch!

According to David Styles:

"The idea behind training for a marathon is to condition your muscles and body to be ready for the race. This includes decreasing your resting heart rate and conditioning your muscles and respiratory system to function in the most efficient manner possible.

To do this you should schedule your training sessions to allow your body to push to it's limits whilst at the same time allowing it enough recovery time between sessions.

The typical training system should include two rest days, two shorter runs, one semi-long run, a cross-training day and one long run per week and should look something similar to this basic program:

Monday: Rest day
Tuesday: Short run
Wednesday: Semi-long run
Thursday: Short run
Friday: Rest day
Saturday: Cross-training
Sunday: Long run

This is the most efficient way to get your body into peak condition without running yourself into the ground."


As I have written in my post "Proud to be an Addict", I run 4X a week, sometimes 2X a day, in an attempt to adhere to this basic training program. It didn't take too long for my age to interfere. This program may be applicable for most runners but I learned that it's simply not advisable for runners who are just beginning to train at age 50. I had to revise the program if my goal is to run until age 100. My body just gave in at the rate I was going.

And so, my revised program is as follows:

Sunday: Long Run
Monday: Rest Day (walk/jump rope/bike/stairs,etc.)
Tuesday: Tennis
Wednesday: Short run, Strength Train
Thursday: Tennis
Friday: Semi-Long Run
Saturday: Strength Train

I don't particularly know what caused the pain and discomfort in my body (as if it's not obvious that it is my age!) but starting this week, I will limit my runs to only 3X/wk. If needed, I will also limit my tennis to only once a week and replace it with some lesser strenuous exercises (after all, the basic program calls for 2 rest days).

How about you? Do you follow a strict training program? Are you comfortable with it?

14 comments:

  1. Hey Nora, in my case I only run 2-3x a week and the rest of the week just go to the gym or to the pool. You're not trying to catch up with all those years of slack, are you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah hah ... even if I wanted to catch up, my body would not let me, Gene. How I wish to run 4X a week but I have to cut it down, for my own sake. I also have 1 problem Gene. I still want to play tennis 2X a week. Maybe this is also one reason why I sometimes feel sooh tired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nora, in my younger days, I would run everyday. Today, I'm running 4-5 days a week with the other two or three being cross-training (swimming or biking or rest) days.

    I think it's good what you're doing. Tennis is a bit of running and biking is good.

    Please take care and keep it up. (BTW, I'll do my best on my blogs too. I had to delete and reissue my latest one!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nora, in my younger days, I would run everyday. Today, I'm running 4-5 days a week with the other two or three being cross-training (swimming or biking or rest) days.

    I think it's good what you're doing. Tennis is a bit of running and biking is good.

    Please take care and keep it up. (BTW, I'll do my best on my blogs too. I had to delete and reissue my latest one!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you should get a heart rate monitor to see if you are over exerting? Hopefully you have been sleeping enough?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wayne, you started running at a very early age while me, at a prime age of 49! Nevertheless, running 4-5 days a week at age 56 is quite an achievement. As I've said over and over again in the past, you are an inspiration to us runners Wayne. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend Ted also suggested that I get a heart rate monitor. Maybe its about time that I get one.

    No problem with my sleep PC. But I've got ONE problem that is only common to women reaching 50. And that is one battle I have to deal with physically and emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very impressive po, you really did your homework. It inspires me to do the same, study and analyzed what best training program/schedule fits for me. Right now, i don't follow any program. I just run alone or with my wife when ever our schedule permits us. Keep it up. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very impressive po, you really did your homework. It inspires me to do the same, study and analyzed what best training program/schedule fits for me. Right now, i don't follow any program. I just run alone or with my wife when ever our schedule permits us. Keep it up. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A training program helps us make time to run, not just finding time. It is quite difficult to find time based from our hectic schedules. We really have to make time for our runs or a week simply passes by. Good luck to you and your wife, bro j.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Miss Nora! I definitely agree with PC that you get a Heart rate monitor... Your training program is VERY impressive - but I would suggest that you just REST on a Monday and Saturday. To give your body time to recuperate. Since you're doing something EVERYDAY.

    You can do 1 set of Strength training after or before your run on a Friday instead.

    What kind of strength training do you do? Free weights? At a gym with a trainer? Machines?

    And how long does your tennis sessions last?

    And lastly, have you had a check-up recently? You blood chemistry?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tinamad akong mag strength train this week Gi pero on days na ganado ako, dumb bells/crunch ball/resistance ball ang gamit ko.
    Sa bahay lang ako. We converted our roof deck to a mini-gym.
    Exactly 1 hour ang tennis session. This week, once lang ako nakalaro bcoz of the rain.
    Every June (near my b-day) ang complete check-up ko. Kaya until now, wala pa rin akong heart rate monitor kasi normal pa lahat ng medical results ko. Do I still need it even though my MEDEX is OK?
    Thanks, Gi!
    Btw, nice photo...does this mean that "everything" is back to normal?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Medyo, going to the "okay" side na kami :)

    Because you have an annual Med exam every year and if you have a way to check your BP everyday - kahit wala ka ng HR monitor... Okay lang.

    You're also almost always physically active everyday - I'm sure you're in the peak of your health! Keep on moving... When I get back to paranaque - I'm looking forward to running with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's good news Gi! That things are getting better with you and D and that we can run together . . . maybe when you are scheduled for your easy run para di ka mabagot sa kabagalan kong tumakbo heh heh ...
    If not for the occasional discomforts of perimenopause, I'm normally strong and healthy. Pero kung umatake, nawawala ako sa sarili. Like this week, once lang ako nakatakbo. Emotional imbalance. I'm still in the process of trying out the best training program that will work for me. It hasn't been easy so far. Ang daming factors na dapat i-consider. But I will follow your advise to allot 2 rest days a week. That could do the trick. Thanks, Gi!

    ReplyDelete