Saturday, September 25, 2021

How Do You Become “Yourself”?

“ Be yourself”. We hear this often from motivational writers and speakers. Whenever I come across this cliche, I couldn’t help but imagine the repercussions the world has to endure if everybody would simply throw caution to the wind and just “be himself”.

Then my mind would wander off and start forming weird visions that would actually make me laugh. Like if I choose to be myself, I would be listening to my favorite songs while enjoying my bubble bath instead of calling prospects for appointments, eat sweets to my heart’s content, drink beer everyday, go out in faded maong shorts and cropped tank top instead of the presentable business attire, sleep in the nude, stroll along the beach from sunrise to sunset, listen rather than talk, scream when I reach my boiling point, dare to have a one-night stand hahahah . . .

Let’s face it. To uphold order in this chaotic world, one cannot just “be himself” in its truest sense.  Every action that we take carries a great responsibility attached to it. One can never be free to do what he wants.  

So how exactly can you “be yourself”?

Love yourself first. Forgive yourself of your past mistakes, try to learn from them and trust that the best is yet to come. Instead of comparing yourself with others, compare your past self with your present self. Then believe in your heart and mind that you can still be better. But faith requires action. Do not just believe. Do it. Do it now. Show the world what you’re really made of. Not to satisfy people’s expectations of you but because you owe it to yourself to be the better version of what you are now. Whether you believe in God or not, there must be a reason why you are still alive today. It is for a uniqe purpose that only you can fulfill. A purpose you can call your very own because there’s no one else in this world quite like you.

Claim it now.

(Thanks for dropping by my blog and sending your comments/reactions via Messenger. You may also email me at ndelr62@gmail.com. Stay safe everyone!)